Mobile menu

International student health insurance Spain

For foreign students studying in Spain
  • Affordable premiums
  • Valid for visa
  • Instant policy delivery
Apply now
0.53 € /day
Swisscare product info
International student health insurance Spain

Which student health insurance is required for Spain student visa ?


Health insurance in Spain is mandatory during the whole duration of studies.


Non EU/EEA nationals (third country nationals)

Third countries students are those who’s nationality is non European Union or non European Economic Area country.

Students from Non EU countries are required to provide an insurance that is accepted by the Spanish consulates before arrival in Spain.

The insurance must cover the duration of stay in Spain.

If the duration is more than 1 year

1) the first year, the insurance must be purchased for 1 year in full and a private international student health insurance is accepted.

2) from the second year, the student need an NIE (Identification number). The student must enrol into the Spanish state healthcare system.

However, the Spanish state healthcare system will have limited coverage and will not cover travel and assistance benefits. Therefore a private insurance in addition is highly recommended and will offer the following advantages :


  1. Cover emergency medical costs abroad if you travel in Europe for example (excluding USA/Canada)

  2. Cover all assistance benefits necessary during studies in Spain and during travels :


  • Emergency medical benefits (sickness and accident) in addition to Spanish national health insurance.
  • Repatriation to your home country
  • Ambulance by air, sea and ground
  • Search and rescue
  • Accidental death and disability benefits
  • Third party liability insurance


EU/EEA Nationals

Students with nationality from EU/EEA countries can request in their home country the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Thanks this card, EU/EEA nationals can benefit of the same cover as locals by the Spanish state healthcare system.

Attention : The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any travel protection, search and rescue, repatriation to the home country, emergency dental treatments, assistance… A private insurance is highly recommended in Spain also for EU/EEA nationals during the entire stay in Spain.