Mobile menu

International student health insurance Sweden

For foreign students studying in Sweden
  • Affordable premiums
  • Valid for visa
  • Instant policy delivery
Apply now
0.53 € /day
Swisscare product info
International student health insurance Sweden

Which student health insurance is required for Sweden student visa ?

Non EU/EEA nationals (third country nationals)

Third countries students are those who’s nationality is non European Union or non European Economic Area country.

Stays of one year or more :

Students who stay one year and more in Sweden must register by the Swedish Tax Agency for receiving an ID number. Once the students have their ID number they are covered by the Swedish national healthcare system. To obtain a travel visa to Sweden a private medical and assistance cover is required. Also once you arrived in Sweden, it is necessary to have your private medical and assistance cover until you are properly registered by the Swedish Tax Agency. But in general, it is recommended to have a private medical and assistance cover during the whole duration of studies in Sweden.

Stays of less than one year :

Students who stay less than one year cannot obtain the Swedish Tax Agency ID number and therefore cannot get access to the Swedish national healthcare system. Such students are required to take out a private health insurance.

Necessary and recommended insurance :  A private health and assistance insurance is necessary and recommended for

1. for obtaining the travel visa to Sweden

2. for covering the medical costs until you are registered by the Swedish national funds

3. for taking in charge all assistance benefits necessary during your studies abroad like :

  • Medical treatments (sickness and accident) not covered by Swedish national funds
  • Repatriation to your home country
  • Ambulance by air, sea and ground
  • Search and rescue
  • Accidental death and disability benefits
  • Third party liability insurance

EU/EEA Nationals

Students with nationality from EU/EEA countries can request in their home country the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Thanks this card, EU/EEA nationals can benefit of the same cover as Swedish nationals.

Attention : The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any travel protection, search and rescue, repatriation to the home country, emergency dental treatments, assistance… A private insurance is highly recommended.